To search for specific words type "Ctrl" + "F" on your keyboard (Command + "F" on a Mac). Then, type the word you are searching for in the window that pops up
- Lesson on Studs Terkel | Why is listening so important?
My Fight for Palestinian Rights and the Subsequent Backlash By Robert Gardner
Are you a good listener? Do you try to be? Is it difficult to listen with respect, especially to this you disagree with? Did you know that NAFTA has made it easy for corporations to build dams, dig mines and other unwanted environmental degradation projects in Latin America? Do you know about the assassination of Berta Carceres in Honduras because she was trying to stop that? Do some research on her work and other grassroots movements in other countries: Guateamla, el Salvador, etc. Is there anything like this happening in the US? Did you know that Nestles takes as much water from California water source free!? How do you feel about this? Think about writing a letter to the editor or elected officials.
- Vengeance ? English Social Studies
Henry A. Giroux | The Authoritarian Politics of Resentment in Trump's America
Compare the revenge in Louise Erdrich's La Rose with Giroux's words. Do you see similarities ? differences? Have you ever bullied, been bullied< helped someone who was being bullied? What does revenge enter in?
- US Hisory | March's New Deal Low Down
What of this is found in your area? Do you think we need such a project today? What does it tell you about your own history?
- How Norway Avoided Becoming a Fascist State
- Why Science Can't Be Silent
- Because every child deserves someone that cares | Exclusive Video Release
- US History/Slavery/Reconstruction
Five Myths About Reconstruction | Book Giveaway
- US and World History/ Immigration
Protecting Immigrants' Right to Health
- Social Studies/ Language Arts/ Science
WILPF-US Facebook page
Eye on Congress on Facebook (new)
NucNews on Facebook
NucNews Archive (1999 to present)
Non-Nuclear News on Facebook
Proposition One Campaign for a Nuclear-Free Future
Roots Action letter to Congress
- World History/US Foreign Policy
HAITI 2017: From Demonstration Election to Electoral Coup by Charlie Hinton
This can be for small groups or individual research. The shared with entire class. What didn't you know about this history…Why? Do you know of other elections around the world and in US history where US foreign policy manipulated elections? How much of this has gone unreported? Why? What is the motivation for this? How do you feel about this policy? What can you do about it?
- Using Science for Social Change
Could you do any of the things these six articles are about? Join with others in your class who want to work on one particular issue either from the articles or one you have decided would work for you. ( check with your teacher ) What were the results? Who can you share them with to make a difference. Now what do you want to try? This is how you can live your life! Involve your neighbors or make a school project.
- Science/ Media/Current events
Keep it in the ground: Shell's 1991 film warning of climate change danger uncovered
Who should see this film? WHo are you going to write to to tell about it? What responses are you getting? Share these with legislators, the editor and others. Why do you think we're getting this from The Guardian instead of a US source?
- Social Studies and English
A Crisis of Relevance
What time in history compares with this one? How do you feel about it? What do you feel you can do about it? If there were a draft and you turned 18 what do you think you would do? Do you think there ought to be a draft?
- Sharia Law
- Five myths about sharia
- Why Science Cannot Be Silent
- Trauma -informed care
This Town Adopted Trauma-Informed Care—And Saw a Decrease in Crime and Suspension Rate
- Gil Villagran'50 years at SJSU
- REFUGEES by BRIAN BILSTON (Read from top and then from bottom)
- How Cancer Helped Me Bond With My Students: A guest post
How to turn a negative into a positive…appropriate for any grade level Language Arts class
- Social Studies/English/Economics
Tackling the Headlines: Teaching Humanity and History
Take the beginning problems and solutions and research real solutions More lessons within Tackling the Headlines Helping students divine real from fake news
- Social Studies and English
Teach Students to Question the President
- Social Studies and English
The Great American Awakening
FInd the countries on a map whose elected officials were overthrown by the US. Research who replaced them ( in groups, each group takes one or two) and what happened there as a result) Are there others who were essentially dictators who were kept in place by the US. Were they finally displaced? How? Why does our foreign policy push us to do these things? Do you agree with it? Why or why not? How would you feel if another country did that to the US?
- [Presente-Honduras] FYI: Global Witness report now live – please share on social media
- How Immigration Policy and Trade Policy are linked / Como se relacionan la Política de Inmi
- Information on Cuba not readily available in the media/Social Studies/World History/US Foreign Policy
IFCO's CubaBuzz: Issue 48
What difference does it make if we have relations with Cuba, flights, etc?
What was the rationale to break them off 50 years ago? Is this the same policy we're following with Venezuela?
What will be the result? What is the policy trying to achieve? Does it make sense? Do you think it will succeed?
- Nicanotes: Guest Blog: Fidel By Tortilla con Sal and the Nicaragua Network
- It Can't Happen Here
lesson: It Cant Happen Here.txt
ebook: Sinclair Lewis - It Cant Happen Here.pdf
- Latin America/World History/US Foreign Policy
Supporting Latin American Unity by Saying "No" to U.S. Interventionism
- US History/New Deal
A Spark in the Dark
Research where New Deal art is in your area..
What support do artists have today?
Should government support them? Why?, Why not?
- Guatemala/World History/Central America/US Foreign Policy
Guatemala/Israel military connection
Did you know of this connection? Why not?
Should we be aware of this connection?
How do you feel about it?
What action would you want to take?
Write an essay using one or more of these questions as a prompt
In small groups read your essays to each other and discuss them. Write a joint letter combing the points made in the letters of your group
- World History/Israel/Palestine History and Action
Challenge U.S. Israel/Palestine policy in the coming year
Which action would you feel comfortable acting on?
Write a letter to the editor with copies to all your elected officials in Washington DC Share any replies with the class.
- Zunes articles #205: The U.S. and Israeli settlements
- MLK Sermon/US History/Civil Rights
Journeys of Liberation
- The Biggest Mistake in the History of Science
- Getting real news from Comedy: Six Times John Oliver Made Us All Smarter This Year
- Language Arts/Social Studies: Fake news(Propaganda) /real news
America Is Awash in Fake News
- Politics and Climate Change/Science/Environment
How Trump's Secretary of State Nominee Rex Tillerson Conned the Media Into Believing He Supports Climate Change Action
- US History / Voting
White Rage: How the GOP Set Out to Unelect the U.S.'s First Black President
- US/Honduran History
AfGJ Helps Hondurans Fight for Justice and Peace
- US History/Politics/ World HistoryComparison with Nazi Germany from Jewish survivor Hannah Arend
Shawn Hamilton: How to understand politics under Trump
- World History/US foreign policy/Honduras/inspiring young leadership/non-violence
Lesson of USAID
- Multi-cultural: Celebrations 50 Years of Kwanzaa
- Bi-lingual/encouraging everyone to walk in other''s shoes
Ecnomics/economic justice/activism( being a giraffe: sticking you neck out)
Help shape the future
- US History & Economics
Research to learn where new Deal Art and buildings are in your area. Visit and share with your peers. If we had such a program what would you want for new or renovated buildings and art pieces? November's New Deal Low Down
- US HIstory/English
Do you feel it is a good idea to enlist in the military? Have you read any writings of veterans? Why do you think there are vets against war? List the pros and cons about war Write a letter to the editor or to an elected official about how you feel about war. video: A Soldier's Life
- Math for all
- Central America/Mexico Migration News Brief for October 28, 2016
- US History/English
Abolish Columbus Day Movement Surges | New How-to Guide | D.C. Trivia Night
How can the teaching of Columbus Day be colonialist? What would we gain from teaching about Indigenous People's Day? Write about what you would say to the school board about this.
- World History/Nation Building: Essentialy a history of post apartheid South African struggles of the poor Blacks
Where are there similar strruggles?
- CAIR-SFBA Calls for Protection of Mosques After Anti-Muslim, Pro-Trump Letter Sent to San Jose Islamic Center | Video: CAIR-WA, Interfaith Leaders to Seek Hate Crime Probe
- Trade/Economics/corruptionForeign Policy
One thing we simply will not do — not today, not tomorrow, not ever — is give in
- English/Language Arts/ Poetry for Social Justice
Teaching Poetry for Social Justice
- For teachers: NEVER underestimate the power of your love to impact someone's life forever
- FREE San Jose Museum of Art Presentations In Your Classroom
- Spotlight Education: All the Difference
Racism. What surprised you the most? Do you think knowing this will change minds of people who think African Americans are less capable than whites? What do you think you and your classmates can do to stop bullying people of color? Are you willing to try? Be a giraffe, stick your neck out to help someone else?
- Horse Algebra Goes VIRAL!
- Lesson: Youth Activism and the Dakota Access Pipeline
- Science/Health Nutrition/Poverty/Waste
Why do we fight for sustainable foods? Video
Is food wasted in your home? If yes, Can that be stopped? How? What is wasted that is nutritious? Do you know where to donate excess food? Would you? Would such a donation be happily accepted or would it deny the receivers' dignity? Is a person who has less a person who is less? Discuss
The average supermarket in the United States wastes about 3,000 lbs of food each year. Meanwhile, approximately 20 percent of the garbage that goes into our landfills is food.
- Middle school 6th or 7th grade: Mayan wedding ceremony's script
Which parts are different than the ceremonies familiar to us? Would they add an important dimension? Do you think forgiveness is important? Whom would you ask forgiveness and for what?
- Wonderful resources free for Social Studies teachers. People's History Tool Kit: Resources for Teaching Outside the Textbook
- Did you get your Climate Justice Seed Packet?
- 5th grade Social Studies
The Fifth-Graders Who Put Mexican Repatriation Back Into History Book
SEPTEMBER 30TH INTERNATIONAL DAY IN SOLIDARITY WITH THE PEOPLE OF HAITI
- Art: Ask students after viewing whom they would add to this list?
Women to Watch: See Who Made The List
- Math on every level
Table Talk Math: Bring math conversations home!
- New Deal helped the Carribean countries
- Here's Your Homework: Listen to our Podcast!
- Use POV Resources in the Classroom
- Explore POV's resources for students and filmmakers: Tools to Help First-Generation College-Bound Students Achieve Their Goals
- Sioux Story
- Education Round the World
- GCFestival is here! Check out the megastars who are taking the stage in Central Park, New York City
- Find you way to the 2016 Global Citizen Festival by learning more about Education around the world and taking action.
- Listen to Kweku Mandela's reflection on what his grandfather might have to say about #blacklivesmatter.
- Show up and show your friends that you're a Global Citizen
- Economics/Daily life/Language arts/writing
GDP Weaker Due to Inventories Lesson
- When Play Is Criminalized: Racial Disparities in Childhood
- Raise Your Voice and Say No To Coal
- Educating aganst stereotping and racism
- Who Builds the Builders? - for teachers
- Lesson for Global and US History & Sociology
Ask students to take notes on the countries and their issues. After viewing film Let each student choose an issue and get together with others who have chosen the same one to discuss and write or make a poster or select some other way of demonstrating what the issue is and why they think it would improve the US to incorporate it here.....click here for lesson(pdf)
- US History/Courage, racism/women
Choosing Justice Over Fear and Fighting for Human Rights
Lesson for US History & English: Class listens to CD ( 30 Minutes) taking notes of issues raised. Have each group choose an issue to brainstorm responses and write letter or essay, create a poster or write a song or poem as group's response to the issue. Share with class
Click here for details(pdf)
- Thursday, July 21, 2016 7-8 pm
San Jose Museum of Art (San Fernando and Market)
Closing Party for Border Cantos event details
- PE SS ENglish with lessons in text
From the NBA to Social Activist: An Immigrant Star Tries To Repair Democracy
- Criminal Justice vs Restorative Justice
Rethinking criminal justiceLanguage Arts and Social Studies: Brainstorm misdemeanors Group. Let each group choose one. List everyone touched by the misdemeanor. Discuss how they would feel. How the negative feelings could be displaced by positive ones. Use the talking stick process. How did it feel? Share with entire class.
- Art, Social Studies
CA Teachers take Genocide Education a Step Further
- For Teachers:
- Global/War and Peace
No War 2016: Real Security Without Terrorism
CCR News: For two clients, free at last!
Food diaries from around the world Poverty poem
- Poverty/Food/Social Studies/Science/Sustainability
This Video Will Knock Your Socks Off
- Teaching Salvaged Pages: Young Writers’ Diaries of the Holocaust
- TV behavior copying/election campaign
SPLC report: Teachers across America say presidential campaign leading to widespread fear, bullying in schools
- Opposition to 2844
- War & Militarism/another
RECOVERING FROM MILITARISM
- War/ Let's have every point of view of all the players
Drone war objectors speak out
- 3 lessons in concepts
Lesson 1 Lesson 1 Lesson 3
- Raising the Social Security Retirement Age Hurts Millions of American Workers
- Social Studies/Language Arts
No Welcome Mat for Fascism: Stop Whining About Trump's Right to "Free Speech"
An article about freedom of speech: what it is and what it isn't. Discuss . If the class is divided in its views let them prepare a debate like format to allow for all opinions to be heard. Then see if the class has come to a consensus. Research when in US history such a divisive situation has been part of the electoral process.
- How one Senator can block important legislation/ Aid to suffering Flint people
- Excellent perspective by Robert F. Kennedy Jr.: Why the Arabs don¹t want us in Syria
- War and Peace/Nuclear Weapons/Explosive weapons ( land mines and cluster bombs...See MAG)
- Social Justice Teaching
This AAPI teacher got fired for teaching the truth
- War and Peace/ nuclear weapons
"Accidental" and "Nuclear War" don't belong in the same sentence
- Favorite books to read to non readers ( Pre-schoolers )
- A “New Deal” Romance
- Subject: Anti-racism
Armed white supremacists attack Black Lives Matter protesters
- War, peace and veterans
How do we teach for justice in a time of war?
- Quotes,particularly for elementary teachers
- For free posters and quotes: To teach like a pirate http://www.daveburgess.com
- Lincoln Quotes
Especially for elementary teachers.
Keep children calm, give them the tools to do it themselves!
Test your knowledge.global micro financing
God's Masterpiece or the Devil's Bad Joke?
In Eduardo Galeano's history of humanity, he discusses barbarians and apes from the Opium Wars to the Origin of the Species.
A beautiful, timely social justice themed book for all the children you know:
Joelito´s Big Decision /La gran decisión de Joelito
IHOM newsletter May2015
Women in Africa are the food growers. A great story to supplement the Simulation Starvation or Survival
Four Years of Fukushima Fallout
Young People Demand McDonald´s Serve Abx–Free Chicken, and They Listen! – Update on “School Lunch Program: Remove Risk of SuperBugs from Children’s Lunches”
How Did California Schools Engage Students?
Gender Equality/Climate Change leadership? Join Desmond Tutu and Graça Machel
• Tour the World - Official Music Video
• Subject: I challenge you / Great Geography Lesson / Map Game
Something to think about. If the world were a global village of 100 people
Now Is the time by Mzwakhe Mbuli, the South African people´s poet. This poem became the theme song of the first free election in South Africa in 1994
• Joseph E. Stiglitz: Let's Stop Subsidizing Tax Dodgers
• Maya Angelou on the Noble Story of Black Womanhood
• Teaching Tolerance brochure
• Build Your Learning Plan
• PERSPECTIVES for a DIVERSE AMERICA
Lessons for all grades and all subjects!
Teachers! Let students use this source when creating a survey. Great experienced organization.
What school textbooks and the media miss
2014 Olympic Winter Games
• CA Issues: Over Troubled Waters on the Delta and past and proposed water use policies. Beautifully photgraphed and narrated by Ed Begley Jr.
• Harvest of Empire: The Untold Story of Latinos in America, based on the book by Juan Gonzalez
• Roadmap to Apartheid:Israel's unique form of official discrimination
• Do the Math video http://act.350.org/signup/math-movie/, or on YouTube
• Divestment campaign site: http://gofossilfree.org
LASTING PEACE By Robert C. Koehler
5 Kids Bravely Fighting Christian Domination of Their Schools
• Iraq War
• Vietnam War
• What is the focus of your textbooks: wars, civil resistance struggles??
• Vietnam Vets poems/cartoons
Don´t Frack with Us: Our Bodies, the World´s Water
The Cost of Biofuels in Guatemala
This article and slide show about bio-fuels grown in Guatemala is really disturbing. Be sure to look at the slide show to see the story. The Guatemalan farmers ordinarily raised corn for eating. Now they raise it for sale for gas for cars that they do not drive. If they have to buy corn for food, it is double what it was last year. Credit: Richard Perry/The New York Times
Congress to Postal Service: “Drop dead!”
Stealing and Selling Nature: Why We Need to Reclaim “the Commons” in the Curriculum — Read and Share
For Cambodian Street Kids, Friends International Works to Redefine Normal
Good information and slide show for you, your children and grandchildren to view on the history of access for black people to the Whitehouse.
Innovative Program Engaging Young People in Addressing Hunger Issues Reaches Spanish-speaking Education Communities
World History Lessons
- How Guatemalan women are working together to help themselves and their communities
- Science: New Digital Edition of Holocaust and Human Behavior
- World History/Agriculture/Science and Health/Climate Change/US Foreign Policy
Sugarcane report English Spanish
WHo benefits from large sugar cane fields? Who doesn't? What are the climate Change concerns involved? Health issues?
- World History/US History & Foreign Policy
Two more Honduran land rights activists killed in ongoing violence
What does this crisis have to do with the US? Why are environmentalists targeted? How could the US remedy this situation? Should we? Why? Why not?
As the presidential debate scrupulously ignored the blood-soaked corruption of US foreign policy, two more environmental activists in Honduras paid the ultimate price - just like the dozens of civilians who died under US aerial bombardment in Mosul today. Jose Angel and Silmer Dionisio were guilty only of living among our bananas and other agribusiness crops, just as the Iraqis were guilty only of living in the country under which God placed our oil. - Sandy Davies
- World History/ Armenian Genocide
Evening with GenEd and film "The Other Side of Home"
- World History/Hunge/Poverty
Latino Heritage Month: Celebrating WFP's work in Latin America
- Fossile fuel and its legacy/Ecuador
Especially important now with the US the number one producer of oil in the world: Toxic Tour to the Ecuadorian Amazon
- World History/ Israel/ Palestine
History of Israel/Palestine Conflict by Jeremy R. Hammond
Resource details and Lesson
- World History/Peace and War
BY THE QUAKER MIDDLE EAST REP OF FCNL
Treat ISIS Like an Artichoke: A Non-Military Route to the Heart of the Crisis
- Nation Building /South Africa/ local government election
Abahlali baseMjondolo Press Statement - A special announcement on the local government election
- Newest Verse News BERTA CACERES
- World History/War
Online Workshop: Exploring Crimes of War through the Nanjing Atrocities
- World History and Economics, US History and Economics, Poverty, Refugees and Migrants
''Economic Migrants'' Getting Bad Rap in Refugee Debate
Like refugees, economic migrants deserve the right to relocate, as they are fleeing another kind of violence: poverty.
- World History / EL Salvador and Science / Preventing teen pregnancy and HIV
CoCoSI Working in Rural Communities ( video )
- The Flute at the Checkpoint: The Everyday Politics of Confinement in Palestine
A wonderful article on Palestinian life by Sandy Tolan, the author of The Lemon Tree. A checkpoint incident is only one of thousands of small daily indignities suffered by Palestinians.
- War and Refugees
Syria: the world cannot look away
- Lodestar of Peace
- South Africa
- Social Studies
Palestine/Israel - 1948: Al-Nakba (The Catastrophe) and The War of Independence
- World History/Economics
Why Evo Morales Will Likely Win Upcoming Elections in Bolivia
- A video made by Cuban youth to tell the story of the Cuban Five in 3 minutes!
- Meet the Muslims who sacrificed themselves to save Jews and fight Nazis in World War II
- WWI History: Background for 2014 current events
- Life Magazine Commemorative on Mandela
- World History Resource
VETERANS NATIONAL EDUCATION PROGRAM / Global Awareness Map and Multi-Media information
- Children of the occupation: growing up in Palestine
- Stories from an occupation: the Israelis who broke silence
- Learning from History to Build a Better world
- Critical Thinking: Fact, Perspective, Narrative, Your Truth
Using critical thinking about the Israeli/ Palestine conflict, explore the agreements of facts, hearing perspectives and narratives which lead to individual "truths" to attempt to come to possible solutions.
Build critical thinking skills by using Samia Shoman's framework of the four concepts: Fact, Perspective, Narrative and Your Truth.This goes to the core of literacy
- Update from the UN Human Rights Council from Women's International League for Peace and Freedom (WILPF)
- The Lies Grow More AudaciousBy Paul Craig Roberts
WW II history retold with corrections.
- A Nonviolent Alternative for Ukraine
Ukraine faces a rising tide of violence in the restive east. Here´s why nonviolent activism is the best strategy for fighting back.
- Current Iran “Crisis” Began With Overthrow of Democratically Elected Government in 1953
- The Legacy of Nelson Mandela
- Irena Sendler
- Economics / World History
Cooperative:Mondragon/Basque Country of Spain
What Coops do you know of. How do they work? What do you see as the advantages of a Coop? What changes would happen if we had more of them in the US?
Will the IMF Become Irrelevant Before it Changes?
Lesson:Check the lending to a country in Latin America, Africa and Asia. How much was lent, what were the strings attached if any, the interest rate, the date of the transaction? How much has been paid? How did it affect social services for the poor, social institutions such as schools, clinics, etc. Do you think the countries benefitted?
- Economics/US History
The Tax Evasion Double Standard: How US CEOs Are Withholding Revenue
Lesson : How our economy really works. Check what you family pays each April 15 or is is withheld from the paycheck? What percent of the total paycheck is it?
- Trade Treaties: TPP
What are the arguments for and against the TPP TransPacific Partnership Act. How does this compare with NAFTA North America Free Trade Act? What were some results of NAFTA begun in 1994 under Pres Clinton? How do Hillary and Bernie disagree on TPP. No Welcome Mat for Fascism: Stop Whining About Trump's Right to "Free Speech"
- How we're connected economically and what that means:
Growing, Growing, Gone: Transforming the Global Economy Before It's Too Late
- Economics/US History
February's New Deal Low Down
- Economics and Priorities
National Priorities Project Statement On President Obama’s Last Budget Proposal
By Lindsay Koshgarian
- Economics and Election Campaigning: 10 Powerful Reasons Why Bernie Scares Wall Street
- US Economics/ Science
The Rise of Big Generic: Why Knockoff Prescriptions Now Cost $1,200
Rampant consolidation in the generic drug industry has left patients paying shocking prices.
- Economics/Austerity is a Weapon
- Tell Congress: We Can´t Afford to Outsource More Jobs
In this new two-minute video, economist Robert Reich explains just what's wrong with the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal and what you can do to stop it.
TPP = NAFTA on steroids
TPP: the worst trade deal you´ve never heard of
Video: TPP: The Dirtiest Trade Deal You´ve Never Heard Of
- Video: Ha-Joon Chang discusses “Economics: The Use´'s Guide”
- How the Defense Industry Bankrolls Pro-War Pundits
- Job growth exceeded 200,000 for the sixth straight month in July, for the first time since 1997.
- Common Sense Economics for Life as an Open-access Course, Starts 2014 Sep 2 (Open)A new approach to teaching econ. It's taught with loads of short, interesting videos – Teach the way today's students learn, through a multimedia approach.
Take the online class yourself to see if you're interested in using it in your classroom (online, or not) or to brush up on your own understanding of econ if you've been recently "nominated" to teach it in your school.
- Subject: Argentina, Predators & Jubilee's Voice.
- BRICS´ New Financial Institutions Could Break a Long-Standing and Harmful Monopoly
- CEPR experts featured in latest issue of Dissent Magazine
- Piketty for Dummies
The U.S. spends 57% of its discretionary budget on the military - spending only:
6% on Education
6% on Government
5% on Veterans Benefits
5% on Health
3% on Energy & Environment
Source 1 Source 2 Source 3
- Ecuador´s New Deal: Nothing Succeeds Like Success
- The Great Tax-Cut Experiment
- Some Politicians Were Not Paying Attention in Class
- 9 Greedy CEOs Trying to Shred the Safety Net While Pigging Out on Corporate Welfare
- Campaigns/ Who is the Middle Class according to Politicians?
- The Myth That Japan Is Broke: The World´s Largest “Debtor” Is Now the World´s Largest Creditor
- Video: Real stories of poverty
- Final study questions for SACRED ECONOMICS and a list of the proposals in of WEB OF DEBT.
- Economics and Human Rights
We Are Not Garbage re. Recycling plant working conditions in LA
- Public-Sector Banks: From Black Sheep to Global Leaders
- History/Econ lesson through music: Woody Guthrie
- Free Trade Doesn´t Work: What Should Replace It and Why
- Video: Teach-In on US Economic Crisis - Use it to Do Your Own
The "National Teach-in to Take Back the American Dream" Special
Lessons on Landmine
- Social Studies/US History/Global History/
Mag May 2016 e-newsletter-pdates on MAG's program in Sri Lanka, Laos and Cambodia
Lesson: Look up previous news letters for MAG and compile a list of landmine free countries and those that are working to become landmine free. Locate these on the map. From which wars did these devices come during which years?
- Look back on six biggest social media moments of 2015
- Agent Orange: Terrible Legacy of the Vietnam War
- Camouflaging the Vietnam War | Classroom Lessons for Earth Day | New from Rethinking Schools (pdf file)
- Vets against agent Orange
- Vietnam War and Non violent response: Believe in Violence and Be Saved
- It´s Time to Compensate the Victims: Looking Back at Vietnam and Agent Orange
- Vietnam Veterans Against The War(VVAW)
- Vietnam Vets Against War issue
- Vietnam Revisted by Pentagon
Paying Respects, Pentagon Revives Vietnam, and War Over Truth By SHERYL GAY STOLBERG
- Vietnam War
- Vietnam Vets poems/cartoons
- 40 Years Later: Remembering the Vietnam War (pdf)
- Visit www.magamerica.org and magamerica.org/Tea with Malifor interviews and more information about Mine Advisory Group that clears mines and cluster bombs all over the world. Their work won´t be done when we stop manufacturing and using these dreadful weapons that still kill and maim 40 or more years after the wars. Let´s work for their elimination as WMDs.
- NEW Monthly MAG Online Newsletter - Focus on Vietnam
- Twice Escaped From Death on the Bomb Field
- With Husband in Tow in Vietnam
- Weaving and Backpacking Through South East Asia
- The Most Interesting Campaign Ever
- Video on MAG landmine cleanup/Laos survivors
- MAG www.magamerica.org | MAG America´s Facebook Launch
- Landmines simulation
- Listen to the songs and discuss the relevance to today. Read the lyrics aloud to appreciate the poetry.
- Rhythm and Resistance: Spring Magazine Online and New Book
- What Happens in Vagueness Stays in Vagueness
by Clark Whelton
The decline and fall of American English, and stuff
- Being An American: High School Edition with English Language Learner-Guide
- Our video went vira
- For Science and Social Studies teacher for lessons and professional Development credit
Follow-up: Population Education Online Professional Development
Endangered Earth: Nearly 2 Million Acres Protected for Frogs, Toads
WHy is it important to protect frogs and toads? Does it make you wonder more about the interaction between animals, birds and insects? Can you explain at least one such interaction?
Water a life saver! Take this water quiz
- 5 Ways to Live an Ocean-Healthy Lifestyle
- Oil pollution,climate change,exploitation of indigenous, land and nature
Action? Write elected officials in DC to stop Chevron,demand they pay fines courts ruled they must. Ask Kerry to stop Ecuador allowing other companies to drill.
- GLobal: Climate Change
Science, Social Studies and Language Arts: Write letters to the editor, legislators state and federal
After Paris: what next for climate action?
- Science /Social Studies
GulfWaves: Environmental Justice and New Leases in the Gulf
- Science /Democracy in Action
Movements for Climate Justice -- Grassroots International e-Newsletter
It´s the Second Dirtiest Thing in the World—And You’re Wearing It. Only Big Oil pollutes more than Big Textile. By Glynis Sweeny / AlterNet
Nearly 100,000 German Beekeepers Demand a Ban on GMOs
Without bees, the future of earth looks bleak.Germans want a ban on GMOs to help save bees
Ruthless Power and Deleterious Politics: From DDT to Roundup
The banning of DDT did not bring about any rethinking of factory farming and its addiction to deleterious pesticides.
- Our Planet
A new Blue Marble
- Citizen action: We fight for our planet and all that inhabit it
PROTECTING PEOPLE FROM PESTICIDES (video)
- Shark Poaching Boat Sunk and more
UPDATE: Challenge to electronics industry
- Science & Civil Society
“Merchants of Doubt” Film: How Science is Undermined PG-13
Come see what climate deniers learned from the playbook of Big Tobacco!
- Science & Civil Society/Climate Disruption
Check out the video and action center — “Our Epic Future: Create It With Clean Energy.”
- Science and Government
New Lesson on The World Health Organization and Ebola
- Climate Change from poor Central American campesinos' perspectives
- Teaching A Science Of Sustainable Health/Success: Indigenous Peoples Call for Global Ban on Uranium Mining
- 12 Ecologically Sustainable Countries and Why They Should Be Admired
- Poster for environmental studies
- World´s Oceans Face "Irreparable Damage
- Science / We Can Make a Difference / Solar & other projects in Haiti
Visit “If Pigs Could Fly- Haiti” For Environment, Science, Foreign Policy, Int´l Relations, Solidarity.
- Science / Climate Change
- THE 12 QUESTIONS EVERY CLIMATE ACTIVIST HEARS AND WHAT TO SAY
--detail the most common misconceptions and arguments against the reality of man-made climate change – and simple ways to explain why they’re totally wrong.detail the most common misconceptions and arguments against the reality of man-made climate change – and simple ways to explain why they’re totally wrong.
- URGENT: It's going to be REALLY hot the next week
Climate change will drive mosquito-borne disease. Are you ready?
Lesson: research what safety measures are in place that farmworkers should know about so they won't die in the heat.
- Climate change will drive mosquito-borne disease. Are you ready?
- Dahr Jamail | Not a Fish Tale: Humans Are Ingesting Plastic Thanks to Ocean Pollution
- What other questions would you ask if you were the interviewer? What answers promoted other questions? Which people will be affected first? How should those not yet affected be prepared to help?
- Climate Change/Wind Energy
Download: Top Wind Energy Myths
- Investigate Exxon’s Climate Disaster
- Climate Justice From Paris to Your Classroom
- Water/indigenous/ Conseration
Drought Relief Bill Threatens to Drown Sacred Sites of a Northern California Tribe
- Climate Change/Indigenous /Environmentalists
REWRITING THE HUMAN STORY
- Climate Change/Mental health
http://www.truth-out.org/opinion/item/32496-post-katrina-stress-disorder-climate-change-and-mental-health Post-Katrina Stress Disorder: Climate Change and Mental Health
We cannot ignore how disasters from climate change impact people's mental health.
- Climate Change, Environment, Propaganda/Media
Without Context, Environmental Images Obscure Who's Responsible for Climate Change
Popular environmental images have helped bring ecological consciousness into the mainstream, but also have masked systemic problems.
- Drought/Climate Change
The Arrival of the Bone-Dry New Normal
- Real nutrition science Women and Biodiversity Feed the World, Not Corporations and GMOs
- The President´s science advisor is at your fingertipsThe President´s Science Advisor Answers Your Climate Questions (video)
- Here Are the 56 Percent of Congressional Republicans Who Deny Climate Change
- “Communicating Climate Health” for Climate Change and Health & Science lessons
- An excellent scholarly video on Climate Change with science going back to the 1800s http://watchdisruption.com/
- Climate pollution made simple
- Future Stewards for the National Parks: Clean Air and Climate Change Activity Booklet
- The Right to a Future: Urgent Need for a New Lens and Lexicon for Conveying Climate Collapse
- Let´s Stop Hiding Behind Recycling By George Monbiot, Guardian UK
- Climate Change leaders and Actions
- Our Climate Is Headed Toward “Extremely Dangerous” or “Catastrophic:” Here´s Our Best Off Plan For Staving Off Total Disaster
- Science/CLimate Change - Changing the Climate in School
- Science and Poli Sci: Watch the whole world Connect the Dots
- THE 12 QUESTIONS EVERY CLIMATE ACTIVIST HEARS AND WHAT TO SAY --detail the most common misconceptions and arguments against the reality of man-made climate change – and simple ways to explain why they’re totally wrong.detail the most common misconceptions and arguments against the reality of man-made climate change – and simple ways to explain why they’re totally wrong.
- Title: A Year with the Urban Gray Fox - Information regarding Bill Leikam´s Gray Fox presentation
- Do You Know What You´re Eating?
- New Report Proves the Endangered Species Act Works
- I Belong: culturally-responsive interventions for science instruction
- Islamic Science Rediscovered
Limited Engagement. Opens Saturday September 3, 2011.
Enjoy these articles, freely available to all friends of Rethinking Schools.
- Dirty Oil and Shovel-Ready Jobs: A Role Play on Tar Sands and the Keystone XL Pipeline, by Abby Mac Phail
- Got Coal? Teaching About the Most Dangerous Rock in America, by Bill Bigelow
- ‘Don´t Take Our Voices Away’—A Role Play on the Indigenous People´s Global Summit on Climate Change, by Julie Treick O´Neill and Tim Swinehart
- A Message from a Black Mom to Her Son, by Dyan Watson
- The Big One: Teaching About Climate Change, by Bill Bigelow
- A Pedagogy for Ecology, by Ann Pelo
- “My Family´s Not from Africa—We Come from North Carolina!” Teaching Slavery in Context, by Waahida Mbatha
- Five Years After the Levees Broke: Bearing Witness Through Poetry, by Renée Watson
Published on Truthout
Latin American Lessons
- Venezuela Weekly 5.3.15 contains a few useful articles on Venezuela that contain bite-sized dose of the truth so that you can fight the disinformation in your own community, that so much of the media, including alternative media are putting out
- Latin America and Human Rights, Globalization
The Peoples´ International Health Tribunal: San Miguel Ixtahuacán 2012
- Latin America-US Policy (click to download)
- US intervention in Latin America
- Timeline of US-Latin American Relations since 1823
- U.S. Intervention in Latin America ( end of Spanish American war to Great Depression )
- Aristide, coups against him
- Election in El Salvador
- Latin Amerin Us Foreign policy Chronic kidney disease
- Cuba and the Bolivarian Alliance Issues Committee (click to download)
- From Zenaida (click to download)
- Honduras A Journalists No Man's Land (click to download)
- Interventions in Latin America (click to download)
- Independent Latin America Forms Its Own Organization
Test Your Knowledge (FCNL)
Zinn Education Project
- Subject: First Myles Horton Education Award, New Monthly Column, The Daily Show and much more!
- Zinn Education Project
The Zinn Education Project has just posted 10 new teaching resources at our website!
These include a dramatic role play about the little-known Japanese Latin American internment during World War II; an article on working with Lewis Hine's photos of child labor; activities on the first-ever Indigenous People's Summit on Climate Change; and a role play that puts students in the position of being members of the American Anti-Slavery Society, who must choose the most effective ways to fight slavery. Visit the website to see all 10 of the new teaching tools we have available.
Lesson for Bullying And Anti-Bullying
- ‘The Trump Effect’: Schoolchildren face bullying, fear deportation
- SPLC report: Teachers across America say presidential campaign leading to widespread fear, bullying in schools
- Visit facinghistory.org/safeschools and download "A Guide to the Film BULLY: Fostering Empathy and Action in Schools" and learn more about our efforts to promote safe school culture.
- One teachers approach to preventing gender bullying in a classroom
- Bullying: A Case Study in Ostracism
- Bullying and Anti-Bullying in Personal Life & History
- “Stop the Bullying!” Table of Contents along with a sample lesson
Lessons on Bin Laden and Terrorism
- 2017 February´s New Deal Low Down
Can you find any art or swimming pools or buildings i your area built during the New Deal? Check www.ourdevelopingworld.org HAve there been any examples of funding of art since the 40's? Do you think the government should fund art, music and theater? Why, Why Not? Have a debate.
- Teaching a People's History
- Fidel Castro Turned Out to Be Right About the US Role in Latin America
Why did we put an embargo on Cuba? What was the result? Would you enjoy having another country try to influence US elections or help overthrow someone elected? Is it right for the US to do that to other countries? Why are we so afraid of progressive leaders in other countries? Who benefits? Who is hurt? Here? Abraod?
- Unfair Death Penalty process:Film recommendations
- Popular Resistance Newsletter - Stop the Next War NOW
What area the several things that lead us into the several wars talked about below. Who benefits from war? Do you know that 18 year olds must register for the draft even though it hasn't been used since the Vietnam War? Why do you suppose it's not being used? What recent event in History helped us avoid a war? Is it important to avoid wars? A poster from Nicaragua during the Contra War shows a child's hand holding a dove with the text: "The most beautiful victory will be the war we avoid." What do you know about the Contra War? How do you feel about the possible wars looming now?
- US HISTORY/Racism/Meeting Human Needs/Economics
What We Don't Learn About the Black Panther Party -- but Should
What caused the birth of the Black Panthers? Is there a parallel today? What were the human needs they tried to address? Are those same needs present today? Why? or why not? What ideas do you have to address these needs and decrease the umber of deaths of Blacks by police?
- US history/World History/Journalism/Critical Thinking/ Current Events
The Media Freedom Summit is Less Than 10 Days Away
How to give students the opportunity of college students research on what the media IS NOT covering and discuss who the players are who don't want it covered.
- Can you Name the First Black Candidate for President? (videos and lessons)
- Help Abolish Columbus Day!
- Weekend Readings: How Brown v. Board of Education Is a Broken Promise
Does a court ruling always make for change? Do you know of segregated schools? How do they damage the education for those segregated and those who are not ? Should this be changed? How can we help make that change? Is everyone's history part of American history?
- Hidden in Plain Sight
Research New Deal art in your area. Are there arks or swimming pools that were built through New Deal funding and job creation? What else did you find?
- Slavery/Freedom/New Museum
Deep in the Swamps, Archaeologists Are Finding How Fugitive Slaves Kept Their Freedom
- What's an aphorism? Who are the authors? Which one do you laugh at the most? Do you know why?
- US History/Elections now and with FDR
Disrupting the Myth of Franklin D. Roosevelt in the Age of Trump, Sanders and Clinton
- Refugees/US and Global History/HS
Team Refugee and the Normalization of Mass Displacement
- U.S. History this Fall? The American Revolution
- Yes, Black Lives, and All Lives Matter
All lives do matter. So why is responding to "black lives matter" with "all lives matter" problematic? This is why. Read Lesson
- Peace not War
Lesson: Write the editor with your reaction, Write elected officials and candidates . Subject: This Speech Was Not Plagiarized
- Republicans Will Nominate a Candidate Who Would Violate the First, Fourth, Fifth, and Eighth Amendments
- Best Speech a U.S. President Ever Gave
- US History and Economics
The pernicious influence of "economic hit men" has spread around the globe. John Perkins revealed his first-hand experience of this violent and coercive phenomenon: Now, in The New Confessions of an Economic Hit Man, he brings this story of greed and corruption up to date with more than 100 new pages. Click for details.
- US History June's New Deal Low Down
- Research more about these people and th results of their stands
Asian Americans in People's History | 60,000 Teaching Outside the Textbook
- US History/World History: profiteers
Lesson: The Oilman Who Loved Dictators: How Texaco Supported Fascism
- US History/War
Cowardice and Exoneration in Kunduz
- Vietnam War from the Vets perspective includes video
Commemoration Letter and Conference Update
- US Trade Deals/WOrld History/Economics
Peru trade disaster replicated in TPP
- Science/Current events/Government
California: don't let oil companies off the hook
WATCH: They are stealing votes
- US History/Science/Economics/Environmental injustice/Environmental Racism
CONFRONTING OUR TOXIC LEGACY
- US History: Civil Rights, Foreign Policy, Economics
Social Studies:Current Events to the Classroom
- US History/Labor History/World History
Remembering the Triangle Factory Fire
- US History lessons/actively Updating textbooks
Textbook Fail: The social forces that starved the Irish | Popular Lessons
- Social Studies lesson: Democracy and the Oligarchy
- Lessons from the American civil rights movement
- The FBI´s War on the Civil Rights Movement | Book Winners
Why We Should Teach About the FBI´s War on the Civil Rights Movement byUrsula Wolfe-Rocca
- Also Global
- War, Peace and Bernie Sanders
US history & government/elections and the media war. peace and bernie sanders
How a bill gets introduced, and more!
- US History/Government/Civil Liberties
BORDC and DDF News Digest
- US AND World History: refugees/migrants
- US/African American History
Why the Ideas of Pioneering African- American Radical Hubert Harrison Matter More Than Ever
- January´s New Deal Low Down
- Another perspective of MLK Jr
How We Misunderstand the History of Black Protest
Critique of contemporary protests against police violence are based on a romanticized narrative of the 1960s civil rights protests.
Reclaim MLK: Beyond Sanitized Narratives
If we want to honor Martin Luther King Jr.'s legacy, we must recognize the need for direct action to create social change.
- How We Misunderstand the History of Black Protest
- Elections/US History
Noam Chomsky: Electing the President of An Empire
- Newe US History in Januarys past
- Columbus Day video on Facebook
- Rarely Seen Moments of US History
- Princeton Students Are Right: Woodrow Wilson Was Way Worse Than You Think
President Wilson enshrined racism, gutted discourse on public control of the economy and shredded US civil rights and liberties
- Art and US History
Visual Culture Impacts US History: What Is Seen and What Is Erased?
Throughout US history, art and culture have served to reinforce and direct a multitude of vital social movements.
- November's New Deal Low Down
- The New Deal Low Down
- Why in the hell did it take a random viral video for McGraw-Hill to fix this mistake on slavery? byShaun King for shaunking
- US History and Economics:
Bernanke: Some Wall Street Executives Should've Gone to Jail Over Financial Crisis
Bernanke thinks that in addition to the corporations, individuals should have been held accountable.
- US History, Economics and Elections:
On the News With Thom Hartmann: The Corporate Elite Rig the System Against Us, and More
We need more than talk to narrow the great divide between the haves and have-nots.
- History, Economics, Modern Mythology:
What the Classroom Didn´t Teach Me About the US Empire
Have not the justifications for empire, embedded in our culture, begun to lose their hold on our minds?
- US AND WORLD History:
Political Frauds and the Ghost of Totalitarianism
- US History/ California History/ Labor History
The Forgotten Filipino-Americans Who Led the 1965 Delano Grape Strike By Lisa Morehouse
- US History, Psychology, Journalism, Racism
Long read from"Christine Letts, FCNL"
How Black Reporters Report On Black Death
- Flag Controversies and Race Politics in a Civil War Town
On July 4, 2015, the Confederate flag flew in Gettysburg once more - 152 years after the Civil War battle that made the town famous. Rewashing the Civil War today.
- Racism throughout history to today's presidential capaigns
From Black August to Black Lives Matter
Black August, a month of political prisoner activism and commemoration, can help remind us of the nation´s exponentially expanding racist prison system.
- Why study the Reconstruction era?
- Civil War and beyond
The Confederacy: Fact and Fiction
- US History/Jimmy Carter´s 4 years/before and after
Jimmy Carter and the Happening of History
The fact that Jimmy Carter´s administration is today dismissed as some sort of afterthought is amazingly foolish, and a disservice to the people.
- From the Nuclear Bomb to the Vote: Anniversaries of Hiroshima and the Voting Rights Act
W. E. B. Du Bois to Malcolm X: The Untold History of the Movement to Ban the Bomb
- US and World History/ Nuclear
70 YEARS AFTER HIROSHIMA: Reflections of a US nuclear arsenal commander
- US and World History/ War Resisters League
Remembering Hiroshima and Nagasaki
- US History/African American
- The Living New Deal Hits a Major Milestone
- Nuclear weapons
Reaching Critical Will E-News, July 2015
- Poetry- My Flag, by Mariyn Peretti
- Howard Zinn and the Struggles for Social Justice
The collection of Howard Zinn´s Nation essays, Some Truths Are Not Self-Evident, is available in paperback and in digital format for tablets, smartphones and computers.
- US History/Math/Econ
Military spending lessons/role play: Listening Process Report
- CA History/Murals in SF postoffice
Erasing the United Nations
- The New Deal
Look How We´ve Grown!
- Toward Real Democracy
How “Hate” Lets Us Off the Hook
- War/MLK Jr.
Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr. Beyond Vietnam: A Time To Break Silence
- CA History
Lying to Children About the California Missions and the Indians By Deborah A. Miranda
- Irish American
The Real Irish American Story Not Taught in Schools
- Vietnam: The Power of Protest. Telling the Truth. Learning the Lessons
- US History/Government/Economics
Essay: We Could Use Abraham Lincoln’s Empathy in Washington Today (video)
- George Washington, Slave Catcher
By Erica Armstrong Dunbar
- Missing from Presidents' Day: The People They Enslaved By Clarence Lusane
- Muslims in Early America
- Five Years After: Long Live Howard Zinn by Bill Bigelow
- This is the session odw is presenting at the March CCSS Conference in Oakland in March:
Learning from History to Build a Better World(rtf)
- The US Judges Who Sought Clemency for the Five By Steve Patt
- How Much of a Difference Did New Voting Restrictions Make in Yesterday's Close Races?
- Martin Luther King, Jr.
Delivered 4 April 1967, Riverside Church, New York City
Beyond Vietnam -- A Time to Break Silence
- From Indigenous Socialism to Colonial Capitalism, Examining Native History of a Settler State
- What are You Celebrating Today?
by Emma Buckhout
- US History/Literature/Creation Myths
Maiz Culture in the Americas: Resisting Colonialism Through Indigenous Tradition
By Eleanor J. Bader
- The Truth About Columbus Day: Why Are We Celebrating?
- Americans Should Embrace Their Radical History
- US and world History up to present:
From Pol Pot to ISIS: US Bombing Puts “Anything That Flies on Everything That Moves”
- Lessons on History and Foreign Policy:
When We Were Young / There Was A War: New Bilingual Documentary on Central American Stories
- Berta Cáceres Indigenous Leader and Caravan Ally Murdered in Honduras
- US Foreign Policy/World History/War and Peace
Stephen Zunes, National Centre for Peace & Conflict Studies, Politics and Coordinator of Middle Eastern Studies
- World History and US Foreign Policy
Why Congress Must Pass the Genocide and Atrocities Prevention Act
- Excellent perspective by Robert F. Kennedy Jr.: Why the Arabs don¹t want us in Syria
- US History/Immigration/Foreign Policy
Central America/Mexico Migrant News Brief for February 26, 2016
- Cuba/US Foreign Policy
IFCO´s Spotlight on Cuba Issue 1
- US History/Latin American policy
The Struggle Continues: Garifuna Land Defender Shot in Honduras
Attack occurred two weeks after court hearing against Canadian terrorism developer.
- Propaganda and Foreign Policy Brazil Should Stand Firm Against U.S.-Led Campaign to Undermine Venezuelan Elections
- US History/Foreign relations
Cuba and the United States: A New Chapter (pdf)
- Obama Channels Ronald Reagan: How to Create an “Extraordinary National Security Threat” By Mark Weisbrot
- Israel/Palestine/Iran re. nuclear development/ISIS
Zunes articles #171: Netanyahu´s speech before Congress (and more) (pdf)
Maestra, a DVD of the Cuban Literacy Campaign of 1961
Women Make Movies The trailer is on our developing world facebook page. The Maestra film, DVDs are now available.
Our two-minute trailer on youtube
Study guide now available as free download for educators on website
- US Trade/History/Foreign Policy/Economics
Ten Tall Tales on Trade: Fact-Checking Obama´s Top Trade Official
- Power to the People, but Really: Participatory Democracy in El Salvador
- Video: Learning from El Salvador
- Duvalier: Dead but Not Gone By Charlie Hinton
- Washington's Secret Agendas — Paul Craig Roberts
- It's Not About Religion: A Conversation With Author and Middle East Expert Gregory Harms (Truthout)
Divide class into groups of three or four.
Give each group the intro and a question and answer to flesh out with specifics, further questions. After each group has shared with the class, give them another question/response to analyze and share.Then ask them to write any new insights or information &/or opinion they's gained from this process.
- “This Nonviolent Stuff´ll Get You Killed”
Guns and the Southern Freedom Struggle: What´s Missing When We Teach About Nonviolence
- Lessons: Science, Economy, Current events, US History
- Looking Back at Labor Day´s Turbulent Origins
- A calendar of steps toward peace can be downloaded
- Labor Day & Chicago´s Pullman District: Our 402nd National Park?
- 94 years later, here´s where we are
- US History and Gov
- Supreme Court
A letter from Randi Weingarten
Voter suppression laws
- Government/Voting Rights
Not all states bar ex offenders from voting. Is this fair? How does this rig the election?
Thanks to Jim Crow Era Law, One in Four Black Adults Can't Vote in Florida's Primary.
- WATCH: How to fix the Supreme Court
- US govt lesson relevant to Ferguson
- This is My Vote quiz
- Supreme Court
- This Month In Black History | August (PBS)
- Award for lifetime Contribution to Social Justice for Working People
Fred Hirsch Award Talk
- George Washington Foreign and Military
War in Afghanistan: Enough Is Enough
- War and Technology
Agribusiness, Biotechnology and War By Brian Tokar
- Popular Resistance Newsletter - Celebrating Our Rebellious Roots!
- What to a Prisoner is the Fourth of July?
- Mississippi, 1964
- Hollis Watkins: Continuing the Work of Freedom Summer
- War & Peace/Rep Barbara Lee responds to Obama
Congresswoman Barbara Lee Responds to President Obama's Remarks on Iraq
- Soul Murder By Robert C. Koehler
- EQUALITY IN EDUCATION
The Girl Who Sparked Brown v. Board of Educationby Nadine Bloch
- People´s History Tool Kit -- Resources for Teaching Outside the Textbook
- Challenging Censorship, Amplifying Voices: Green Feather Movement, Columbus, and Conferences
- Banned Books: People´s History Under Attack
- Don´t Forget The Contributions of Black History Giant Hubert Harrison
- Who Are the Koch Brothers and What Do They Want?
- Is our tax system fair? Check out this Tax Day message from Robert Reich
- The war on poverty: 50 years later
- Missing from Presidents´ Day: The People They Enslaved By Clarence Lusane
- ‘The exhilaration of standing with other people’ — Remembering Howard Zinn
- Subject: 50 years ago today
50th Anniversary of the War on Poverty statement By California Partnership
- US Revolution History
Rethinking the 4th of July
- Zinn Education Project - If We Knew Our History
Claiming and Teaching the 1963 March on Washington
- US & World History/Slavery
What to the Slave Is 4th of July?: James Earl Jones Reads Frederick Douglass' Historic Speech
Video Report By Amy Goodman
- Retracing Slavery's Trail of Tears
America´s forgotten migration – the journeys of a million African-Americans from the tobacco South to the cotton South
- SOUL MURDER
By Robert C. Koehler
- The founding contradiction
By Robert Koehler
- What to the Slave Is 4th of July?: James Earl Jones Reads Frederick Douglass' Historic Speech
- America´s Real Subversives: FBI and NSA
By Amy Goodman, Guardian UK
- The real criminals in the Tarek Mehanna case
An American Muslim punished for his political views delivers an extraordinary statement in court by Glenn Greenwald
- Harvest of Empire
By Andrew Stelzer, National Radio Project | Radio Program
odw has the dvd Harvest of Empire by Juan Gonzales to lend. History of US foreign and trade policy with Lain America.
- Independence Day
- BOOYAH! Morgan Freeman Says What Everyone Is Too Embarrassed To Say About Our History.
- How Would American Indians Teach US History?
- US History/Racism
- The story this museum tells
- Racism from MLK.Jr to now
When Martin Luther King Jr. Came Up Against Chicago Racism
- Facing Ferguson: News Literacy in a Digital Age
- The Historical Roots of Dylann Roof’s Racism
- A Church struggles agains racism/ Charleston’s ´Mother Emanuel Church´ Has Stared Down Racist Violence for 200 Years
- Burning Tulsa: The Legacy of Black Dispossession By Linda Christensen
- Robert Parry | What Has US Militarism Wrought?
- Military Decides to Withhold Key Data on Afghanistan War
- A Time for ‘Sublime Madness’
How art, music, etc helped overcome slavery and make possible the civil rights movement.
- US History and Math
- US History and Civics
- Rethinkin´ Lincoln on the 150th Birthday of the Emancipation Proclamation By Bill Bigelow
- Right-Wingers Would Be Shocked to Learn That Islam Has Been Part of American History Since Its Founding
- It´s an American Classic - Our Social Security System
- 9 Great Freethinkers and Religious Dissenters in History
- Labor Movement Songs
- Pardon Me, Mr. President By Alan Grayson
- A 75th Anniversary for the American Dream, a 25-Year Anniversary for Me By Michael Moore
- America …during the years of 1935 – 1939
US History / Lessons on Immigration
- TWebsite for Palestinian Heritage
- Lessons of US Immigration policy
Economics: Research the difference between paying an H-1B visa holder and a US resident. Calulate the profit from the exploitation of H-1Bs who aren't allowed to switch jobs away from the employer who requested them.
- US Program to Resettle Central American Minors Likely to Help Few
The State Department said it anticipates few minors will be admitted into the US via its resettlement program.
- The Not-So-Good News About the Border Crisis
- Immigration: The American “Deportation Mill”
- Jose Antonio Vargas´s new film “Documented” will change the way you think about immigration
Listen to the podcast on the Web
- It´s Not the Children´s Fault
- Bill of Rights Institute Immigration eLesson
This lesson will look at previous immigration laws, and highlight the constitutional issues that have arisen out of immigration policy.
- Border Militarization Study Guide
- Let´s Stop Making Migration a Crime
- Video of Cornell West goes to Arizona
- Take our quiz: What century are they from?
- History is repeating itself. Can you tell the difference?
- A poem on Immigration
US History / Civil Rights
Celebrate Black History Month With KQED
IN groups assign stories to be read and summarized. Let students choose the one they knew least about and why they think that is so. Choose the one they liked the best and why choose the one they feel is most important that people know about and why. Write a letter to KQED about these opinions.
- Human Rights/equal opportunities
Commemorating Black History Month
- How to get students active
70 Years of Civil Rights Images
- Immigration, Central America, What a small group can do/Making a Difference
“Las Patronas” Make Mexico´s “Train of Death” a More Humane Place
This cargo train carries Central American immigrants that hope to cross into the United States in search of a better future.
- Civil Rights Movement/ Racism
Remembering Julian Bond
- US History: Black History FIlms10 Must Watch Black History Documentaries
- Sadly, activist Julian Bond has died. Watch 2008 interview of him on YouTube
- Confederate Deserters: The Rebels You Rarely Hear About
Those who romanticize the Confederacy can learn valuable lessons from the legacy of rebel deserters.
- Civil War and Civil Rights
SPLC maps hate by tracking pro-Confederate flag rallies across America
- Highlander Remembers Guy Carawan
- Civil War and Civil RIghts / Selma
- Rename Selma´s Edmund Pettus Bridge
- Civil Rights Struggle From Salma to Montgomery and SJ to SF
- 50 Years Since Selma
50 years after “Bloody Sunday” and the historic Selma to Montgomery march
- Never afraid by Elizabeth Warren
- SELMA TO MONTGOMERY: 50 YEARS LATER Our trip to Selma
- Black History | Remembering Selma
- From Selma to Ferguson
- Ten Things You Should Know About Selma Before You See the Film
- Remembering a Tragic Anniversary: Viola Liuzzo
- How Ferguson, Missouri, Uses Cops and the Courts to Prey on Its Residents
- Watch this video to see how the civil rights movement has endured through the generations.
- Black Future Legends Month
Join Danielle for #BlackFutureLegends Month and draw inspiration from the past to fight for our future!
- Long a Force for Progress, a Freedom Summer Legend Looks Back
- Dr. Angelou speaks at DNC in Boston (video)
Maya Angelou in a speech she gave some years ago in a tribute to Fanny Lou Hamer and the Mississippi Freedom Democratic Party.
- Civil RIghts Struggle / Quiz : Freedom Summer 1964
- March on Washington: Continuing 'that righteous fight' (video)
- Teaching Tolerance provides free civil rights lessons
- Civil RIghts Then and Now
Detroit MLK Day for Justice: Of Dreams and Nightmares
- Civil Rights iTextbook now available in iTunes - Teaching Critical Reading & Persuasive Writing Skills
- Angela Davis: Dismissal of Palestinians is reminiscent of Jim Crow days
- Celebrate Heroes and Heroines of the Civil Rights Movement
Lessons on Labor
- The Forgotten Filipino-Americans Who Led the 1965 Delano Grape Strike By Lisa Morehouse
- Labor History/global economics
HBO´s John Oliver Excoriates Fashion Brands´ Race to the Bottom
- The Power In Our Hands: A Curriculum on the History of Work and Workers in the United States
- The 1934 West Coast Longshore Strike
- Lawrence, 1912: The Singing Strike
- What Rights Do We Have?
- Modern Times
- Brand Names and Mass Graves
- Lesson: Labor and Women's History
- How America's Unions Helped to Build A Middle Class for Workers in the U.S.
- About the Labor Educator
- THE WORLD OF LABOR — May 1, 2011 By Harry Kelber
- Remembering the Triangle Fire
- The Triangle Fire: Still Burning Before Our Nation
- The Triangle Fire: 100 Years Later
- Triangle Returns: explosive new video and report released
- Rethinking Schools: For this “teachable moment.”
- Labor Lesson: Did They Die in Vain?
- Human Rights/Women's Rights
Women’s Rights Are Human Rights
- Women Peace and Security June E-News 2016: Disarm GBV for Peace and Human Security Michael Moore DVD: “Where to Invade Next” can be lent along with the lesson plans
- Lessons based on The Commission on the Status of Women 60
How one conference or document can serve as social justice based lessons across the curriculum.
- Global/ Women's rights/History
5 ways to stand with women around the global
Questions for a lesson
- Global/Girls/ What would you do?
For women everywhere
- Global/girls in India
NEW VIDEO: Girls Build a Better Future in India
- From the women of Gaza to the women of Flint
Global: Strong effective women in Solidarity
- Global Strong Effective Women for Change
Strong effective women
- Global Women: Empower women for economic equality
- Global Women: 3 Stories - 1 Goal This International Women's Day
- International Women's Day Doodle 2016: #OneDayIWill - YouTube
- Eleanor Roosevelt
Remembering My Grandmother, Eleanor Roosevelt. (She was a perilous driver!)
- Women & WWII - Remembering a Heroine
- International Women´s Day (IWD)
- International Women´s Day/Fairness
- Subject: Women in Peace-Building: Peace Amidst War for Resource Control (Truthout)
- On International Women´s Day, Celebrate Feminist Victories of 2011
- The War on Women in the Courts
- International Women´s Day in Pictures: Protests, Celebrations
- In March Celebrate: Women´s History Month
- Women Defenders
- History Review Lesson - Why women should vote
- Secretary Clinton´s Remarks on Women, Peace, and Security
- When Women Make Peace (PBS video)
- Women and right to water (click here to download)
- Five more Women´s History Lessons Grade 3-12 (www.loc.gov)
- Out of the Dust: Visions of Dust Bowl History
- Lessons for Women's Month/Day
The election year is a great time to celebrate Women´s History Month (March) by teaching about women´s voting rights. The Library of Congress lesson guide uses a rich array of primary sources--from lyrics to 19th-century songs for "young ladies" to a photo of picketing suffragettes.
For grades 6-12
- Women heroes
- For more women´s history
Lessons: Martin Luther King, Jr.
Bill of Rights Institute ( BRI )
- Searching for the Fourth Amendment
- Civics/Testing the Limits of Free Speech eLesson
- Civics/Trayvon Martin Shooting and Stand Your Ground Laws eLesson
- Supreme Court Issues Decision on Jailhouse Strip Searches eLesson
- Patient Protection and Affordable Health Care Act Goes to the Supreme Court eLesson
- eLesson on Understanding Presidential Nominations
- Twitter and Student Free Speech
- Hurricane Irene and the Constitution
- Constitution Day is coming - Are you ready?
- Constitutional Principles and the Death of Osama bin Laden
- The Founding Documents: A Three-Act Drama
- Are actions part of free speech?
Texas v. Johnson
- Does the First Amendment give you the right to lie?
The Stolen Valor Act and False Speech
- March 2011: Women´s History Month: Anne Hutchinson and Colonial Religious Liberty
- George Washington´s words on Religious Liberty | Constitution Courier eLesson
- The Healthcare Act, Federalism, and the Commerce Clause | Bill of Rights in the News Constitution Courier
- Check Out these Great Constitution Day Resources
Colonial Williamsburg Teacher Gazette
- Voting in Early America (October 2012)
- Finding Slaves in Unexpected Places (November 2011)
- The Monstrous Absurdity (May 2011)
- What Can Clothing Tell Us about the Enslaved? (April 2011)
- The Revolution on the Home Front (March 2011)
- The History of Chocolate: Chocolate in the American Colonies (January 2011)
- George Mason's Objections to the Constitution (November 2010)
- Juvenile Justice: A Century of Change (March 2010)
- Pirates and Piracy (June 2009)
Starvation or Survival
- “Hunger Games” Unit: Lessons Q&A Tests Activities Quiz Vocab Maps Key
- Five Lessons in Human Goodness from “The Hunger Games”
- Groups of 4 or 5 simulate farmers in subsistence farming villages. Impacts and choices farmers made from them in many countries drives this simulation of 50% of the world's population
- A Simulation that can be set it in Central America, SE Asia or Africa or Women in Development in Africa. Very successful with middle, high school and adults at universities and community groups.
- After the first round that usually leaves all villages malnourished so susceptible to disease, we ask for feelings if this were their lives year in and year out. If they felt that way how would they act? Throughout we ask if what's happening is actually happening in the world and where. This brings out prior knowledge.
- The question asked at the post session is : Who would these projects help? They know from being subsistence farmers what wouldn't help them.
Returning several years later we find students remember us because of the reality of the simulation!
The Choices Program: Teaching with the news
- The United States and the Iranian Nuclear Program
- The Costs of War
- New Afghanistan Videos for Your Classroom
- The United States in Afghanistan
- Resources to Teach about 9.11
- The U.S. Invasion of Iraq
- Russia's Transformation: Challenges for U.S. Policy
- Protests, Revolutions, and Democratic Change
- After Mubarak
- Egypt´s Uprising
- The Gulf Oil
- The Lessons of Iraq